Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Male, thick long hair, teenager, many questions, hair salon, um... (Just take a look at the question

I'm a teenager (Asian) with really thick and poofy hair. Now I have a style chosen out, but the last time (slash first time) I went to a hair salon, they it didn't go so well (due to lack of communication. They spoke a different langauge.)



I've read about good places, but I've also read that just because a place is good, doesn't mean a stylist is good.



I've also read about how to deal with thick hair, but I've also read about how things could go wrong.



I have a lot of people at school used to how I look, so I really don't want to screw this up.



So I'm asking three questions here.



One: If I'm not so sure about how I want my hair to look, do I just ask them for someone to talk to?



Two: How do I know if the hair stylist is good?



Three: While I'm getting my hair cut, what should I look out for, or correct? (Yes, I'm very paranoid)



Bonus points for telling me what these words mean: layering technique, feathering, razor, shaggy look.



Male, thick long hair, teenager, many questions, hair salon, um... (Just take a look at the question.)?

1. Find a hair cutting place that speaks ur language (assuming english)



2. stylists from asia are very good. all my asian friends get their hair cut when they go back. trust me =)



3. look for eveness (sp) on both sides of ur head and don't forget the back



Layering = cuting hair so not all of it is the same length



Feathering = using a razor like thing to do the ends of layers and give ur hair a light flowing look (usually 4 girls)



Shaggy = i'm assuming choppy layer and uneveness 2 look "cool" ??



Male, thick long hair, teenager, many questions, hair salon, um... (Just take a look at the question.)?

ok, i have been a hairdresser for 18 yrs, so maybe i can help shed some light on this for you. 1st you said you are Asian? right? They tend to have very thick straight "hard to do anything with" hair. I would not change too much-- especially if you dont want to "shock and awe" i have seen awesome Asian cuts that have been lightened.--but maybe another time. Layering is a technique achieved by holding the hair straight up and cutting. this creates purposeful uneven layers of hair. because of how stiff Asian hair is, i don't recommend this unless you are willing to chemically process your hair to make it softer. feathering is the same thing. the word became the click word of the 70's and early 80's--farrah facett (sorry about that spelling) is the classic example.razor cutting is just what is says. it is a cut done by eye, hand and razor. usually to thin out hair--however i again caution you on this because of how stiff the hair tends to be. for a shaggy look you will need one of the above techniques to be done.



since i dont know what exactly you look at i have to guess for a style. so one that has tended to look good on asian boys it cut at the shoulder rounded and tapered at the ends. get a bang that follows the natural flow of your face down towrd the chin to meet perfectly thith the tapered back. over the ears. taper the side to but less than in the back.



unfortunately there is no real way to tell if a hairdresser is any good. ask who your friends go to.... if it is embarassing to bring up, say "my mom was looking for a new hair dresser ..any ideas" once you found someone you like DON'T LOSE THEM. i know how hard it is to find someone you like. You have every right to be paraniod. after all this is your looks that someone is gonna mess with.



bring a picture. a good one. that will be helpful, and remember you are not the person in the picture--don't expect the hairdresser to make you into him.



hope this helps.



Male, thick long hair, teenager, many questions, hair salon, um... (Just take a look at the question.)?

Ok, first question. Find someone that has a hair style you like that also has hair similar to yours (hair type, hairline etc.) This is important, one hair style might look good on one person but not the other because of things like face shape, hair type:fine, wavy etc... take these things into consideration, then ask them who they use for a hair stylist. Then you know you can trust the stylist. Also ask the person what type of hair cut they recieved. layering technique is a hair cut in layers with regular scissors, feathering is a certain cut which was popular in the late 70's, a razor cut is done using a razor, which is good if you want your hair to have a less defined cut, and the shaggy look is usually done with a razor where hair is cut in different lengths all over the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment